I'm late to this party again, but I'm going to chime in anyway, aw yeah.
Like last year, a lot of this stuff is uploaded to alternate accounts for the characters depicted within. I really have been neglecting my main account lately, hahaha.
The blank meme is by ElephantWendigo
, but it's now hosted by ThePlaneWidgeon
. The blank can be found here
JANUARY: "Legit Winter"
- Because it does actually get cold in Riverside in winter, even if the rest of the US is laughing and crying at once because they have it so much colder.
FEBRUARY: "California Man"
- Ignore the upload date. I actually did draw this in February, at the peak of the Florida Man world's worst superhero meme. This was my favorite of the California ones. I don't know what it says about me that this is the only context in which I've drawn my California personification in a really long time.
MARCH: "Smell the Flowers"
- The smell of citrus blossoms is kind of one of the best smells. Riverside agrees, and he won't let you tell him that's not ok.
APRIL: "Q2: 1906"
- I've been neglecting San Francisco's ask account badly, but ze got asked a few questions about the 1906 earthquake, and how could I not oblige? (Chrys has gone through several gender presentations and names over the course of zir history. At the time of the 1906 earthquake, ze was "Dolores" and "she".)
MAY: "Some dissertation results..."
- I'm cheating a little here, because I drew most of this in June, but the dissertation was written in May. That is why not so much drawing happened in May. While the main topic of my dissertation was the effects of fault zone complexity on earthquake size and intensity, a recurring side effect was the San Jacinto Fault beating the snot out of San Bernardino, so I had to draw that. Sorry I'm not sorry, San Bernardino!
JUNE: "Q15: Frank A. Miller"
- This is part of an ask about one of Riverside's major movers and shakers, but this particular panel, a drawing of the Mission Inn, took waaaay longer than any other one part. It might have taken almost as long as the rest combined. Yell at me if I start drawing the Mission Inn again, okay?
JULY: "Straight At You from the 909"
- Again, ignore the upload date. I actually drew this in July and originally uploaded it to Riverside's account. But perhaps as revenge for that comic with the San Jacinto, San Bernardino established a muse in my head, and now he has his own account where he can be as surly as he wants.
- There was a huge thunderstorm with major flash flooding the day after I moved from Riverside to San Francisco. This is not normal for August, and Riverside pretty much flipped out. I'm glad I missed it, honestly.
SEPTEMBER: "Span Transplant"
- After nine years of construction on his new span, Bay Bridge finally goes into surgery to swap out his old east span for the new one. The new bridge opened late on 2 September. I still need to finish the drawing of Bay Bridge's new and improved shiny self.
OCTOBER: "Sorry, No Passengers"
- I realize I never uploaded this one to DA, oops! Anyway, I drew my various personified cities in derpy Halloween costumes, and given the theme of subverting "sexy" costumes into the ridiculous, and the timing of the transit strike that took over the Bay Area, San Francisco dressed as Sexy BART Strike. Isn't ze fabulous?!
NOVEMBER: "Ice Cream a la Redlands"
- Somehow, one delicious ice cream outing turned into a huge elaborate comic featuring six Inland Empire cities making ridiculous faces.
- My contribution for State-Tan Secret Santa, this is s-alish
's personification of the state of Washington, with various state symbols around him. Coffee is totally
a state symbol!2012 Meme2011 Meme2010 Meme2009 Meme